Preparing for a hurricane can actually be affordable and healthy. When a hurricane is coming your way, what do you think of? Batteries, water, canned foods and candles!! I always cringe when I see the foods available to consume, in the mass chaos of preparing for a hurricane. Chef Boyardee, Campbell’s soup, cheese and crackers in a package, and a myriad of other processed foods. I confess, I was freaking out (a little) yesterday when Hurricane Matthew seemed to veer a little more westward as he progressed further north. So what does a concerned momma do? Take a food and water inventory. Here are some great emergency foods your family can eat without compromising quality and still not break the bank!
- Nut butters! You don’t have to refrigerate and they are loaded with protein.
- Coconut manna (for me since I am on a Candida detox 🙂
- Popcorn! Pop it in advance and put in large ziplock bags. Flavor with your own spices.
- Carton plant-based milk – doesn’t have to be refrigerated until you use.
- Protein shake mix!!! Why didn’t I think of this before! No refrigeration or blender necessary!
- Canned tuna by Wild Planet and Wild Alaskan Salmon (I get both from Costco!)
- Organic apples or any other fruit you don’t need to refrigerate.
- Nuts, Lara bars or any other clean eating bars.
- Coconut water – Most people reach for water, however coconut water is more hydrating with the electrolytes.
- Don’t forget paper plates, paper towels, utensils and trash bags!
And last but definitely not least, my doTERRA essential oils! I could not feel more empowered in an emergency, than having my family wellness kit!! We are ready for anything from digestive issues, stress/fear of the storm, skin irritations, better sleep to muscle discomfort. Even our dog is covered!
We are praying for everyone’s safety, especially Haiti and the other islands. Please share any great tips you may have preparing for the storm!